Project Category: Governance Sub Category: Government to Citizens (G2C) Reference No.: eindia2013/awards/242
Details of Programme /Project/Initiative:
Voter Awareness Campaign using Social Media for maximum participation.
To spread awareness about Election process, inform Voters and increase voting in elections.
Target Group: Voters of Gujarat with focus on Youth.
Geographical Reach within India: State of Gujarat
Date From which the Project became Operational: 15-7-2012
Is the Project still operational?: Yes
Five points that make the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative/School innovative:
1. Facebook Quiz application for Voter Awareness . 2. Pledge to Vote by sending SMS. 3. Integration of Voter Registration and Polling Booth Locator in Facebook Page. 4. Polling booth locator, Polling Officer Locator and Voter Registration in single Website . 5. Direct Update of Awareness activities by the Government Staff in Social Media.
Five key achievements of the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative/School:
1. Proof of concept for Engaging Youth Voters through social media. 2. Increased Capacity of Government Staff to adapt to new age thinking and performance. 3. Increased Voter Awareness and Participation in Elections. 4. Introduction of New Media in reaching out to Citizens. 5. Model for using Technology to improve Government Outreach.
Five key challenges faced while implementing the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative/School and how they were overcome:
1. Sensitizing Government Officers and Staff about potential of New Media. 2. Training for behaviour change and communication management. 3. Optimal Web Application design to achieve Campaign Objectives. 4. Convincing Higher authorities on using Social Media in Government. 5. Creating content that is interesting and useful in a easy to digest format.
Five points that make the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative/School replicable:
1. Built on scalable open source software. 2. Election Rules are same across the Country. Country adoption is easy. 3. Multi Author Multi Location Capable architecture. 4. Simple model for using the Power of existing Social networks like Facebook and Twitter and Youtube. 5. Even Government Staff with minimal Computer knowledge can operate.
Five points to elaborate on the scalability of the Product/Programme/Project/Initiative/School:
1. First Time Social Media has been used in an official election campaign. 2. Proves that Social Media is not a reputation risk but useful tool. 3. Targeted messages to audience is possible only through use of technology and analytics. 4. Any Government Servant like Clerk can use the system all across India. 5. Built on Open Source reliable software and uses Social Network Platforms.
Alwar city with a population of about 3.5 lakhs is one of the fastest growing cities of Rajasthan and the NCR region. For the past decade with a rapid rise in industrialization and economic development in the district, there has been a strain on the existing infrastructure of the city. The District Administration with the support of agencies like RTO,Banks, UIT Alwar and Tata Motors has changed the transport system for the better.
The project introduced Euro IV compliant four wheelers to replace the auto rickshaws. Bank funding and exchange programme helped make the project viable. Support infrastructure and soft skills training were provided to drivers. A control room to monitor traffic was put in place.
Alwar Vahini: Co-operative society. A Co-operative society was formed of all the Alwar Vahini owners so that common benefits like insurance can be provided to the members. All members shall have to undergo a free annual compulsory medical check-up which shall involve physical fitness, eyesight check etc. The office bearers chosen by the society shall be the contact persons so that administrative orders can be conveyed to all members through the co-operative. To engender a feeling of belonging to a close knit group and build up an unique group culture of “samman aur seva” – which is the motto of Alwar Vahini, regular meetings and get-togethers are held.
An attractive exchange programme has been provided for the present three wheeler owners. The intention is that the persons who are presently engaged in the public transport trade are given the first opportunity to upgrade to a better means of transport. 515 three wheeler owners from Alwar city have submitted their names for the exchange offer. Once the exchange is fully done, Alwar would become free of three wheelers.
Support Infrastructure Development: A holistic approach has been taken to ensuring a well managed traffic situation in the city. Towards that end, the following measures have been taken
Construction of 20 modern bus stops on the New Delhi pattern
Installation of 15 high resolution CCTV cameras throughout the city
Construction of a modern Police control room
Widening of main city thoroughfares (67 kms in total underway)
Erection of 25 High mast lights
Beautification and reengineering of 5 city roundabouts
1040 Signages installed throughout the city on the New Delhi pattern
4 City entry gates with traditional Rajasthani architecture
Reengineering of all t – junctions which are accident prone and construction of slip lanes.
4 New ROB’s which have been approved by the government.